The Dissolve seeks to be a playground for movie lovers, which means, as on any playground, we must enforce some rules to make sure everyone has fun and doesn’t get hurt. The comments section is intended to foster discussion, debate, and yes, even disagreement among engaged and informed readers; it is not intended as a place to antagonize, belittle, or objectify our subjects, writers, or audience. We hope that all of our readers will observe The Golden Rule when commenting on the site, but in case they don’t, we reserve the right to delete comments or ban commenters that engage in any of the following:
- Ad hominem attacks on other commenters, writers, or subjects regarding their appearance, intelligence, race, odor, sexuality, or any other qualities not relevant to the discussion at hand.
- Offensive or inflammatory language that is intended to offend or inflame. Certain controversial words or sentiments may occasionally be used in the context of intelligent discussion, but should under no circumstances be used to demean or insult others.
- Remarks we perceive as racist, homophobic, or sexist—even those intended in jest. Sarcasm and irony don’t always translate to text, and if a comment can be interpreted as degrading or derogatory, it probably will be.
- Plugs for other websites or links/spam.
- Blatant trolling and/or attention-seeking remarks. You’re better than that.
- Firsties. We hates them.
- Anything else that’s deemed needlessly hostile or detrimental to an engaged, informed discussion.
Above all, we encourage our commenters to be respectful, open-minded, and passionate when interacting with their fellow movie fans. The Dissolve was born out of a deep love and enthusiasm for cinema in all its forms, and we strongly encourage our readership to extend that same spirit to the comments section.